Sunday, December 28, 2008

More From New Orleans

I can chart my life by Sugar Bowls I've covered.
The first one was Auburn's win over Michigan. That was "pre-Emily."

Emily is now 23-years-old and a much better kid than I deserve credit for having.
Luckily she got her mom's brains. Not sure what she got from me. Will get back to you on that.

I covered the great Sugar Bowl matchup where Bama crushed an obnoxious and highly overated Miami team. That was fun. Watching jerks get popped in sports or real-life is entertaining. (Another example would be Tony Stewart hit a wall in a NASCAR race.)

Watched Virginia Tech beat Texas down here once. That was great to watch unfold.
Hokie coach Frank Beamer is a class act. Great to see him win.


I've always loved New Orleans. Many people just think of that naked lady in the door of that Bourbon Street bar. But there is a unique history and culture here
is steaming back from Katrina.

Speaking of Katrina.....

I'm ambivalent about being here. At one point I had no interest in coming back here ever. Just watching the pain and misery from Katrina had me crossing this town off my list. But friends have travelled down here, and enjoyed their stay.
Friends of friends who know business owners are urging everyone to come back and help the city rebuild. The Saints may be playing in the Dome, but there is still more work to be done.

Gotta go eat. No shrimp and grits for us. We're looking for a drive through and a bed.

More later.

Greg Screws
Local Media Icon

No comments: