Thursday, October 2, 2008

More on October Domestic Violence Awareness Month

A viewer, and friend, sent in this poem that her mother wrote about surviving
domestic violence. What strikes me is that through it all, this person hung on and didn't give up.

Suvivorship

Take a good look at me.
I'm a survivor.

You can't see my bruises now-
They're healed.
But I'm a survivor.

Although my spirit still hurts sometimes
and i still cry,
I'm a survivor.

My future is looking good-
because I'm a survivor.

For the first time, I have a job
as a survivor!

I have close friends now
who help me know myself
as a survivor.

I'm a happy and confident person now-
Because I'm a survivor.

Best of all
My children laugh and play-
Yes, we're all survivors.



The poem below is from a person who feared they wouldn't wake up because they would
be killed in their sleep. This is about a person who finally realized remembering their family was a key to getting out and living.


The Door

Survival means walking through the door.
Sunlight.
Air.
Safety.

Rescue yourself.
Do you want to live a long life?
See your grandkids?
You can walk out the door and don’t look back.

Going through the door means not taking a punch.
Going through the door means not hearing how you hold them hostage.
Going through the door means not crying in the shower to start, or while you cook dinner to end, the day.

What did you say to your best friend the last time you talked?
Your parents?
Your kids?
How will they remember you from that call?

Will you wake up?
Will you know?
Will your last moment offer a glimpse of rage fueled by fear, confusion, and darkness?
Will it matter to your family that you stayed to fight, fix, and solve the problem?

Go through the door.
Don’t look back.
Choose to live.
You can’t search through darkness and madness to find a hand that won’t reach back.

The national hotline for domestic violence help is 1-800-799-SAFE. The emergency number for the Crisis Services of North Alabama is 716-1000.

Please help.

3 comments:

Brandi Sims said...

thanks for posting it :)


you going to the madison street festival tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

cannot come.
have to anchor the morning show both sat and sun so i will crash during the day.

gs

Brandi Sims said...

understandable!