Monday, August 13, 2007

Taking Back The Highways-Great Idea!

I'm happy Alabama troopers are on the offensive. It's called Taking Back The Highways and it's about time. Traffic on I-65 and I-565 looks like the backstretch at Talladega with three laps till the checkered flag.

Despite what NASCAR commercials would have you believe, there is no constitutional right to impersonate Dale Jr. while driving your SUV.

For five days, Alabama troopers are taking a zero tolerance stand against lunacy on state highways. Especially the interstates. Why are you driving so fast with one hand on the wheel and the other on the cell phone texting dinner plans to the kids?

You can drive insanely fast and get home...four minutes quicker.

"Doggone it! If I had just done 100 through Madison, I could have gotten home sooner and caught the latest restless leg syndrome commercial."

It's just plain stupid.

Slow down. Get your mindless driving under control and stay more than three inches off my bumper.

Have you ever seen what happens to the human body when a car doing 90 blows a tire, goes off the highway, and flips a few times?

Do you know what happens to a family when someone crosses the median and hits them head on?

Have you tried to sleep when the first thing you see in your dreams are headlights drifting into your lane?

The highway fatality rate in Alabama is rising. The reason is two-fold. People drive too fast and they don't use common sense. The Taking Back The Highway program is designed to remind people that speeding kills.

Don't complain to me about your ticket! I think taking back the highway is a great idea. In fact, I'm glad you got a ticket for doing 90. If the trooper had more time, maybe he could write you another one for reckless driving since you were three inches off the back bumper of the car in front. But he has to go. Someone else is always going 95.

2 comments:

Tony "Jigmeister" Bowman said...

Hold on there Greg! If they REALLY want to make a difference, they should just DO something and not advertise it. It's politics. They are trying to get more money, plain and simple. Draw attention, have a campaign, get free advertising - all to show their superiors they need more troopers. Where will THAT money come from? Can you say "taxes"? I thought you could.

Anonymous said...

I'll give them more $$. I don't CARE! I'm sick & tired of trying to get to work/home, risking my life, attempting to stay out of the way of the Indy 500 drivers who don't give a rat's butt about anyone else on the roads but them. Folks, this is Alabama! What's so exciting that you HAVE to get to your destination 5 mins. sooner, huh? Seen the price of a State Trooper-issued ticket lately? Get a loan!